Dear Everybody, It’s time to end disability stigma in the classroomDOWNLOAD THIS PDF
OverviewHolland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital is Canada’s preeminent children’s rehabilitation hospital and a global leader in childhood disability research. Our dedicated doctors, nurses and therapists provide care and services to thousands of children and youth who live with disability, medical complexity, illness and injury from across Ontario. We also support bright futures for the young people we serve through life skills, employment, recreation, art, music and social inclusion programs.
Driving social justice for children and youth with disabilities is part of our organizational mission. To support this goal we developed, in partnership with our clients and their families, the Dear Everybody public awareness campaign to eliminate disability stigma and promote inclusion in many areas of life, including in schools.
Our aim is to bring the messages from our Dear Everybody campaign into the classroom to facilitate meaningful learning about disability and inclusion. We want to bring our expertise, the expertise of our clients and their families, and the empowering messages of the campaign directly to educators and students to help create learning environments where everyone is meaningfully included and able to thrive.
What we offer
- A one hour classroom workshop for students focused on promoting awareness of disability stigma and enhancing social inclusion
- Delivered by young adult facilitators with lived experience with disability
- Delivered during classroom hour and available in person or virtually
- Workshops developed and tailored to school age children from JK to Grade 12
- All program costs are covered by Holland Bloorview
Outreach Coordinator, Communications and Public Engagement
Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital